LEVEL ONE (200hr Yoga Alliance Registered)
This programme will equip you with the necessary skills to teach yoga to classes or individuals. More than that, it will provide you with a comprehensive yoga education and you may undertake the training to deepen your understanding and practice of yoga rather than as a career move.
An intensive teacher training is a rare opportunity to immerse yourself in the study and practice of yoga in a supportive environment away from your normal daily routine and habits.
We can guarantee that after completing the course, the way you do and view yoga – and probably yourself – will never be the same again.
Applicants must have an established yoga practice for a minimum of two years prior to starting the course.
- Submit an application form. Application forms are available by email or from the website.
- Upon acceptance, enrol with a deposit of R3,000 to secure your place on the course.
- Submit full payment of course fees by two weeks before the starting date.
- Read and submit a book review of one of the books on the required reading list by the start of the course.
November 1st to November 30th 2012
Mondays to Fridays 8.30 am to 5.00 pm
Saturday afternoons 12.30pm to 4.30 pm
- Full fees : 18,000.00 Rand (1,800.00 Euro)
- Early Bird Discount: 16,500.00 Rand (1650.00 Euro) if paid in full by 15 September 2012
- Past graduates of Jim Harrington Teacher Training Courses may apply for a discount of 50% (9,000.00 Rand) if they choose to repeat the course.
Deposits can be made to:
Account number: 1676052216
Account Name: Yoga Teacher Training
Branch Name/ Number: Hout Bay / 16760910
Refunds & Cancellation Policy
Payment of a deposit sets a serious intention and commitment to participate in the course. The number of participants will be limited, so the deposit will secure your place on the course.
If you need to withdraw your application it will be fully refunded until 90 days before start date (15th September 2012). Thereafter the course fees are not refundable but can be transferred to be used as payment for any other courses, classes and/ or retreats of Jim Harrington.
Please note also that there is an early bird discount of R1,500 for committing with full payment by 15th September 2012.
A one-month intensive training course implies that the physical practices will be fairly rigorous. We acknowledge that the actual ability to perform “advanced” yoga asanas is not always a measure of progress or experience in yoga, but we want to see evidence that the participant has applied “Tapas” or dedication to the practices. This is therefore an important measure of ones readiness to participate in the course. An established personal practice is an important foundation for your role as a teacher or to explore yoga more deeply.
It is recommended that you prepare for the course by establishing a regular practice of at least 1.15 hrs, four to five times per week. Please check with Jim if you are not sure if you are ready. Participants are not expected to be proficient in all asana, but are expected to demonstrate a commitment to be present and participate to the best of their ability in all classes, with the necessary self-discipline that that implies.
We have compiled a list of reading that is required as part of the certification on this course. Prior to your arrival you are expected to submit a written book report of 500 words on one of the books in the required reading list describing something that you have learned from the book. The purpose of this exercise is to see that you have read the book and reflected on it. This assignment is due at the start of the course.
The books on the reading list establish some basic concepts that will help in the deeper exploration of yoga during the course. We will refer to some of them in discussions. There will be little time for reading during the course, so we would advise you to try to complete some of the reading in advance.
- Light on Yoga – BKS Iyengar
- The Yoga Bible – Christina Brown
- Healing without Freud or Prozac – David Servan-Schreiber
- Ashtanga Yoga Practice and philosophy – Gregor Maehle
- The Science of Yoga – William J Broad
Highly Recommended Reading
You do not have to read these books prior to the course, but they will elaborate on some of the topics to be studied in the course and can provide a resource for you after completion of the course.
- Yoga Body – The Origins of Modern Posture Practice – Mark Singleton
- The complete book of Vinyasa Yoga – Srivatsa Ramaswami
- Ashtanga Yoga the intermediate series Mythology, Anatomy, and practice– Gregor Maehle
- Yoga and the quest for the true self – Stephen Cope
- The Diamond Cutter – Geshe Michael Roach
- Siddhartha – Herman Hesse
- The Autobiography of a Yogi – Paramahansa Yogananda
- Awakening the Buddha Within: Eight Steps to Enlightenment – Lama Surya Das
- The Hatha Yoga Pradipika – Brian Dana Akers
- The Upanishads –Adi Shankaracharya, F. Max Muller
- Anatomy Trains – Thomas W. Myers
- Anatomy of movement – Blandine Calais-Germain
- Yoga Anatomy – Leslie Kaminoff
- Heart of Yoga – Desikachar
- Health, Healing and Beyond – Desikachar
- Yoga, the essence of life – Alix Johnson
- Diamond Mind – Psychology of meditation – Rob Nairn
- Coming to Our Senses – Jon Kabat-Zinn
- Anatomy of the Spirit – Caroline Myss
- Eastern Body Western Mind – Anodea Judith
There will be a lending library available for participants.
A recommended book shop for Capetonians at which to order books is the Bay Bookshop in Hout Bay (www.baybookshop.co.za). This independent bookshop is usually quicker and cheaper than Amazon. Support locally, think globally.
At Hoog Eind in Newlands
4 Torquay Avenue
Jim Harrington (Yoga Alliance ERYT since 2005)
- Senior Teacher
- Teaching Methodology
- Advanced Asana and Pranayama
- Applied Anatomy and Physiology for Yoga
Marissa Dana Certified Acro-yoga Instructor and Health Coach
- Certified Acro-yoga Instructor and Health Coach
- Partner Yoga / Thai massage
Find out more about Marissa Dana
Philippe Brauwermann (Yoga Alliance YT 200 since 2009)
- Career and Business of Yoga
Philippe Brawerman and Jessica Heynis (Yoga Alliance YT 200 since 2009)
- Career and Business of Yoga
- Module 1: What it is to be a Yoga Teacher
- What is a Yoga Teacher? Finding a Definition.
- Advancement in your Career: how to progress from Novice to Expert
- Giving and Receiving: What and how does a Yoga Teacher transact?
- Maintaining Integrity as a Yoga Teacher
- Module 2: Drawing up your Action Plan
- Identify Threats and Opportunities
- Key Buying Criteria: Who is Buying What from you
- Strengths and Weaknesses
- Identifying Partnerships
- Defining your Objectives and drawing up your Action Plan
- Module 1: What it is to be a Yoga Teacher
- Teaching Methodology and Yoga Techniques (Facilitator Jim Harrington and occasional specialist guest teachers)
- Guided practice of Vinyasa style Yoga using Primary and/or Secondary series of Ashtanga Yoga, the Yoga Synergy sequence and other Hatha yoga styles.
- Sanskrit names of postures
- The art of teaching, including verbal instruction, demonstration, assisting and hands on adjustments
- Principles of alignment, bandha and vinyasa flow
- Pranayama and Meditation
- Injury management and special conditions (prenatal, remedial yoga therapy for common physical problems)
- Props and equipment in yoga practice.
- Ethical issues for teachers.
- The business of yoga and guidance on how to build a career in yoga including a personal plan.
- Final exam
Anatomy and Physiology (Facilitator Jim Harrington)
- Applied Anatomy for Yoga practice
- Applied Anatomy for Basic Yoga therapy
- Final exam
- History of Yoga
- Selected lessons from the Vedas, Upanishads and the Bhagavad Gita
- Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras and the 8 Limbs of Yoga
- The Roots of Contemporary Yoga – Krishnamacharya’s Legacy
- The Chakra System (including the energetic anatomy: koshas, gunas, nadis to name a few)
- 8 Assisting and observing classes
- 5 hours practice teaching
Assessment will be based on:
- Attendance at minimum 90% of contact hours
- Presentation on Yoga Philosophy
- Written assignment on yoga philosophy (700 -1000 words)
- Book report (500 words)
- Exam for Anatomy and Physiology
- Mini Research project for Anatomy and Physiology (500 words)
- Practical teaching exam
- General assessment by the course facilitators
Jim Harrington’s course was the first in South Africa to be recognised by the Yoga Alliance in 2005. On successful completion of the course, you will be awarded a certificate which will allow you to then register with the International Yoga Alliance as a Registered Yoga Teacher (RYT). Becoming a RYT increases your status, brings you international recognition as a yoga teacher and optimizes your opportunities for employment as a yoga teacher worldwide.
Moreover, students will also be assessed for their eligibility to receive a Jim Harrington Yoga Level One Certificate. The Level One Certification is part of a comprehensive programme designed specifically for teachers to maintain and develop their skills. For more information on the modular 500hr programme please go here…