Join SA’s very first Yoga Alliance RYS certified YTT
Full Time: 01-26 November 2021
Full Cost: R26 500 – Early bird before 01 August: R23 350
Join South Africa’s very first Yoga Alliance RYS 200 certified Yoga teacher training course.
Learn from an internationally recognised teacher, Jim Harrington – whose practice and teaching of yoga spans three decades. Jim’s approach to yoga and meditation is a synthesis of ancient traditions with a thorough understanding of biomechanics and anatomy & physiology and science.
Students benefit by learning from a “teaching team” of experienced and inspiring yoga teachers and other professionals from the field. Their combined skills make this a world class teacher training experience.
This full-time or the part time course is ideal for anyone interested in deepening their understanding of yoga, whether it be for teaching or simply to invest in a personal practice. This experience is guaranteed to change the way that you look at and practice yoga!
This training comes with a 220 page manual which has been evolving since the first YTT in 2005. TOPICS of this Manual INCLUDE
- Teaching methodologies and yoga techniques
- Guided practice of Vinyasa-style Yoga using specially designed sequences for Teacher Training which includes the best lessons, adjustments, and step-ups to develop from a novice to an expert in asana.
- Guided practice of meditation and pranayama in detail
- The art of teaching, including verbal instruction, demonstration and how to “workshop” technique
- The art of assisting and hands-on adjustments
- Precise pronunciation of Sanskrit names of postures
- Key Principles of alignment in all common basic postures, bandha, and transitional flow
- Using your voice and developing confidence in the teaching role
- Using Props and equipment in yoga practice
Injury management and special conditions
- Prenatal yoga
- Principles of Remedial yoga therapy for common physical postural problems
Ethics of teaching yoga
Anatomy and physiology
- Applied anatomy for yoga practice means understanding “alignment’ from the inside out
- Basic joint structure and function and the physiology of the nervous system is the basis of yoga as therapy
The business of yoga
- Advancement in your career: How to progress from novice to expert
- Giving and receiving: what and how does a yoga teacher transact
- Defining your business o
bjectives and drawing up your action plan
- History of yoga
- Selected lessons from the Vedas, Upanishads and the Bhagavad Gita
- Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras and the 8 Limbs of Yoga
- The Roots of Contemporary Yoga –Krishnamacharya’s Legacy
- Chakra System (including the energetic anatomy: koshas, gunas, nadis)
- Practical introspection and self inquiry
- Special Guest teachers are included
- Myofascial Release
- Functional Movement
- “Nuad Thai” Thai Yoga massage techniques
- Breathing and apnea physiology
The training will take place at Rocklands Health and Movement Center, our beautiful Venue close to Cecilia forest in Constantia. This is a clean and green, high natural energy environment with the sound of trees, birds, and running water. There will be walking meditations on the lawns and outdoor yoga and meditation under the trees. This is the perfect place for an immersion experience like this.
“This thirteen-week online course will ground you in the fundamentals of yoga. After an introduction to yoga history and theory, you will be expertly guided through foundational sequences in a way which will positively change your yoga practice.”
It has been a truly profound learning experience to enjoy a months of deep deep immersion into yoga (YTT200HRS), anatomy & physiology, philosophy, meditation & breathing guided by Jim Harrington. He offers a unique blend of the ancient and the new, taking us to the edges to bring out our fullest expression.
I deeply appreciate his depth of knowledge as a guide on the journey through the body, the fascinating anatomy of movement and alignment into flow. Thank you Jim for holding space for us all and enriching us with your years of experience in this field and for bringing in a selection of truly inspiring teachers to spice the educational flow.
Applicants must have an established yoga practice for a minimum of two years prior to starting the course.